[vbox-dev] [Experiment]VRDE library for VNC

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Wed Feb 9 19:44:07 GMT 2011

On 09.02.2011 15:49, Frank Mehnert wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 February 2011 15:15:16 Alexey Eromenko wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Howard Su<howard0su at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> I am experimenting a feature to implement VNC protocol server based on
>>> VRDE interface.
>>> Due to lack of document, i am not sure if my understanding to the
>>> interface is correct. Especially, i am not sure the state transition is
>>> understood correctly. If someone in this list can give me a review, it
>>> will help me moving forward.
>>> Current, the patch can work with OSE version as a "Built-in-VBoxVRDP". I
>>> can successfully connect to VRDP with mouse support.
>>
>> Hi Howard !
>>
>> There was VNC support for VBox 3.2.x (OSE edition), but was dropped from
>> v4.x.
>>
>> I would welcome VNC server back. Is this better to have as pat of the
>> 'core' product or as an extension ?
>
> Nothing was dropped. The source code still contains the VNC code as before.
> Users have just to enable it (VBOX_WITH_VNC=1 in LocalConfig.kmk).

That said - the proper way to handle any kind of remote desktop access
protocol since VirtualBox 4.0 is via the generic VRDE interface, which
has been introduced exactly for this purpose.

The existing VNC code was just left in because we didn't want to lose
the code before having the VRDE module supporting VNC.

Doing VNC support as part of a VRDE module packaged as an extension pack
is the best solution in the long term, as the relevant interfaces are
intended to be long-lived (bear with us if initially we can't quite keep
this promise), and that means the extension pack can be truly developed
separately, with its own release cycle etc.

We have plans for allowing platform independent executables, eliminating
the need for a staged build to get the extpack contents for the
supported platforms, but this isn't something which will happen
tomorrow. As usual - contributions are welcome. The picture around
extpacks will hopefully become clearer once we have a sample in the tree
which people can use as a starting point.

Klaus