[vbox-dev] Inclusion of the Guest Additions in Ubuntu 11.10 by default

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Tue Aug 30 20:03:01 GMT 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-30 at 14:28 -0500, Perry Halbert wrote:
> Squeeze came with the VirtualBox guest additions pre-installed, I
> thought wheezy did to but wouldn't bet money on it without installing again.
> So does openSUSE.
>
> Perhaps that is what Alexey was talking about.
>
> In any case trying to install the additions from VBox there is a warning
> to remove the current ones first.
> So there is a mechanism to verify.
We do check for files which look like they belong to the Additions if we
can't find a recognisable Additions installation and print that warning.
From there to knowing how to uninstall a distribution version of the
Additions on a random Linux distribution (although we officially only
support a smallish number we try to keep things as generic as possible
to ensure that the Additions work on most distributions in practice) is
quite a large step.

Regards,

Michael

--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineering
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:michael.thayer at oracle.com