[vbox-dev] Inclusion of the Guest Additions in Ubuntu 11.10 by default

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Tue Aug 30 16:21:59 GMT 2011

Hello Alexey,

On Tue, 2011-08-30 at 19:10 +0300, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> The reason: Debian 6.0 also provides VBox OSE 3.2.10 (host part), so
> if someone installs Debian 6.0 as host then VBox OSE on it (from
> Debian repo) then Debian 6.0 guest on it -- it makes perfect sense.
> For newer versions of VBox, users should manually install GA, that is
> provided by Oracle VBox.
One of the things I am worried about is situations like when the system
has installed some old Additions version and the user installs current
Additions following our instructions, and then the system does some
minor update, partly or fully overwriting our Additions and the end
result is not very pretty.  Ubuntu makes it pretty clear that it is
installing the Additions (and asks the user first) which makes that less
likely, though the user is quite likely to end up with a wrong version
that will have to be manually removed again so that they can install the
current one - again, not a good experience.

Do the other distributions do things like Ubuntu, or do they just
install the package silently?

Regards,

Michael
--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineering
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:michael.thayer at oracle.com