[vbox-dev] wiki/Mac OS X build instructions, hardening warning

Christian Pötzsch christian.poetzsch at oracle.com
Sun Aug 28 17:58:31 GMT 2011

Hi Ryan,

this Wiki page is for building VirtualBox from the sources, mainly for
development. So a MacPorts portfile doesn't help here. Also I guess the
portfile will build a version for X11 and not Quartz.

About your question about hardening: This warning says exactly what it
means. Don't use VBox without hardening for production builds. If you
don't have configured to disable hardening, I just can imagine its
because you build the X11 version on OSX.

Chris

On 8/28/11 12:27 AM, Ryan Stonecipher wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am Ryan Stonecipher and have been using VirtualBox since a few
> months before it was purchased by Sun - what a long way it has come!
> I contribute to the MacPorts project and have a couple
> suggestions/ideas now that one of my peers has completed a Portfile (a
> build recipe of sorts) for VirtualBox.
>
> I have a few suggestions for simplifying the 'Mac OS X build
> instructions' wiki page:
>   I would propose the following changes to the Prerequisites on Mac OS
> X section:
>     add '4.1 or later for Lion (available from the Mac App Store)' to
> the per-platform list of required XCode versions
>     Replace 'Some things from MacPorts' with 'MacPorts' (the
> virtualbox port handles its dependencies)
>     Remove everything after the reminder to edit paths in ~/.profile
> (same reason as above)
>   I would propose the following change to the Building VirtualBox section:
>     Replace everything before the 'Tips for building VirtualBox on
> Snow Leopard 32 bit' subsection with:
>       In Terminal.app, run 'sudo port install virtualbox'
>   I would propose the following change to th Running VirtualBox section:
>     Replace the entire section with:
>       1. In Terminal.app, run 'sudo port load virtualbox'
>       2. Launch /Applications/MacPorts/VirtualBox.app
>
> A MacPorts developer noted that the following warning is displayed
> during configuration:
>   Hardening is disabled. Please do NOT build packages for distribution
> with disabled hardening!
> From what little research I have done, it appears that hardening is
> for Linux/BSD - should it be a concern for distribution on OS X?
> If so, the 'Mac OS X build instructions' wiki page should probably
> include a detailed breakdown of what to do for hardening similar to
> the 'Linux build instructions' wiki page.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ryan Stonecipher
> 573.489.2848

Dr. Christian Pötzsch                             http://www.oracle.com/