[vbox-dev] Enabling ahciLog()?

Pilsung Kang pilsungk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 11:52:58 GMT 2011

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 8:17 PM, Frank Mehnert <frank.mehnert at oracle.com> wrote:
> Pilsung,
>
> please keep this conversation on the list so others will have a chance
> to follow it.

Thanks, Frank. I was forgetting about that.

> On Friday 12 August 2011 12:38:20 Pilsung Kang wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Frank Mehnert <frank.mehnert at oracle.com>
> wrote:

>> > First, make sure that the VBOX_LOG environment variable is properly
>> > exported.
>>
>> Thanks. So exporting VBOX_LOG like 'export
>> VBOX_LOG=+dev_ahci.e.l.l2.f' would work? I am asking this because I
>> don't see the 'dev_ahci' log group in
>> src/VBox/Runtime/VBox/log-vbox.cpp.
>
> Yes, that declaration is correct. Note that the groups are defined in
> include/VBox/log.h and "DEV_AHCI" is definedas part of VBOX_LOGGROUP_NAMES.

Thanks for confirming this.

>> > Using a normal debug build you will get the userlevel (R3) log messages.
>> > To also get the R0 log messages you have to do a debug build of your
>> > kernel modules as well
>>
>> As long as ahciLog() works, it doesn't matter to me if it's R3 or R0
>> logging. Is R0 logging necessary to enable ahciLog()?
>
> R0 logging is necessary to catch the ring0 messages. Some code may run
> under different contexts and without the R0 logging you will miss messages
> from the R0 context. Might or might not be important for you.

Ok, thanks for your answers. I'll go and try to build virtualbox as
you kindly explained.

By the way, can I ask one more question? I previously built a debug
version of virtualbox to use gdb to follow DevAHCI.cpp, but when I
wanted to set a breakpoint in DevAHCI.cpp, it didn't work with the
message like 'No source file named DevAHCI.cpp'. Can you tell me what
went wrong?

Thanks a lot.

Pilsung