[vbox-dev] Enabling ahciLog()?

Frank Mehnert frank.mehnert at oracle.com
Fri Aug 12 11:17:44 GMT 2011

Pilsung,

please keep this conversation on the list so others will have a chance
to follow it.

On Friday 12 August 2011 12:38:20 Pilsung Kang wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Frank Mehnert <frank.mehnert at oracle.com>
wrote:
> > On Friday 12 August 2011 02:10:32 Pilsung Kang wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Can some one help in enabling ahciLog() in DevAHCI.cpp? I've read
> >> related threads in this forum and tried all the methods I can think
> >> of, but was unsuccessful. For example, VBOX_LOG=+dev_ahci.e.l.l2.f
> >> didn't work for me. Any hints would be appreciated.
> >
> > First, make sure that the VBOX_LOG environment variable is properly
> > exported.
>
> Thanks. So exporting VBOX_LOG like 'export
> VBOX_LOG=+dev_ahci.e.l.l2.f' would work? I am asking this because I
> don't see the 'dev_ahci' log group in
> src/VBox/Runtime/VBox/log-vbox.cpp.

Yes, that declaration is correct. Note that the groups are defined in
include/VBox/log.h and "DEV_AHCI" is definedas part of VBOX_LOGGROUP_NAMES.

> > Using a normal debug build you will get the userlevel (R3) log messages.
> > To also get the R0 log messages you have to do a debug build of your
> > kernel modules as well
>
> As long as ahciLog() works, it doesn't matter to me if it's R3 or R0
> logging. Is R0 logging necessary to enable ahciLog()?

R0 logging is necessary to catch the ring0 messages. Some code may run
under different contexts and without the R0 logging you will miss messages
from the R0 context. Might or might not be important for you.

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert
Senior Manager Software Development Desktop Virtualization, VirtualBox