[vbox-dev] very slow installing windows 7 sp1 beta refresh

Frank Mehnert frank.mehnert at oracle.com
Mon Sep 13 12:49:25 GMT 2010

On Sunday 12 September 2010, walt wrote:
> On 09/03/2010 11:33 AM, Frank Mehnert wrote:
> > On Friday 03 September 2010, Huihong Luo wrote:
> >> on Windows Vista 32 bit host, with 1024MB memory assigned, VT-x enabled.
> >>
> >> very slow in the "Expanding Windows Files" (from DVD .iso file) step
> >>
> >> It took about 90 mins for this step.
> >>
> >> At the same time, I tried to install from XP iso file, normal and very
> >> fast.
> >
> > Which VBox version?
>
> I'm using the latest OSE.svn, and I'm seeing Windows 7 guests running at
> one-third the usual speed (linux host).
>
> I'd like to find the guilty commit using git-bisect -- but of course you're
> using svn.  [Crazed anti-svn rant goes here.]
>
> After cursing at svn for an hour or so I finally gave up and downloaded the
> tarball for OSE-3.2.8 Release and found that it runs Windows 7 at normal
> speed.
>
> So, what would be the most efficient way to use svn to find the bad commit
> between 3.2.8-Release and today's OSE.svn?
>
> Does the svn repo actually have the revision that corresponds to the
> release tarball?  If yes, how can I find that info without asking here?

Alexey was right, stable releases are on a separate branch. Well, actually
VBox 3.2.2 was the last release which had a related SVN revision in trunk,
namely r29998.

We also had a check of the time which is used for a Windows 7 installation
and were not able to observe any differences between 3.2.8 and current trunk.
We tested this on an Intel Xeon E5345 (2 x 4 cores) on Windows Server 2008.

Kind regards,

Frank
--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert
Werkstrasse 24                     Staff Engineer, VirtualBox
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:frank.mehnert at oracle.com

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande