[vbox-dev] very slow installing windows 7 sp1 beta refresh

Life is hard, and then you die ronald at innovation.ch
Sun Sep 12 00:35:51 GMT 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 04:17:14PM -0700, walt wrote:
> On 09/03/2010 11:33 AM, Frank Mehnert wrote:
>> On Friday 03 September 2010, Huihong Luo wrote:
>>> on Windows Vista 32 bit host, with 1024MB memory assigned, VT-x enabled.
>>>
>>> very slow in the "Expanding Windows Files" (from DVD .iso file) step
>>>
>>> It took about 90 mins for this step.
>>>
>>> At the same time, I tried to install from XP iso file, normal and very
>>> fast.
>>
>> Which VBox version?
>
> I'm using the latest OSE.svn, and I'm seeing Windows 7 guests running at
> one-third the usual speed (linux host).
>
> I'd like to find the guilty commit using git-bisect -- but of course you're
> using svn.  [Crazed anti-svn rant goes here.]
>
> After cursing at svn for an hour or so I finally gave up and downloaded the
> tarball for OSE-3.2.8 Release and found that it runs Windows 7 at normal speed.
>
> So, what would be the most efficient way to use svn to find the bad commit
> between 3.2.8-Release and today's OSE.svn?

Just use git-svn - since the history is quite large, and you're only
really interested in recent stuff, you probably want to limit the
clone to those revisions since 3.2.8, i.e. something like

  git svn clone -r <rev>:HEAD http://www.virtualbox.org/svn/vbox/trunk vbox.git

(where <rev> is whatever was tagged as 3.2.8 or some other place you
want to start).

  Cheers,

  Ronald