[vbox-dev] very slow installing windows 7 sp1 beta refresh

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 23:17:14 GMT 2010

On 09/03/2010 11:33 AM, Frank Mehnert wrote:
> On Friday 03 September 2010, Huihong Luo wrote:
>> on Windows Vista 32 bit host, with 1024MB memory assigned, VT-x enabled.
>>
>> very slow in the "Expanding Windows Files" (from DVD .iso file) step
>>
>> It took about 90 mins for this step.
>>
>> At the same time, I tried to install from XP iso file, normal and very
>> fast.
>
> Which VBox version?

I'm using the latest OSE.svn, and I'm seeing Windows 7 guests running at
one-third the usual speed (linux host).

I'd like to find the guilty commit using git-bisect -- but of course you're
using svn.  [Crazed anti-svn rant goes here.]

After cursing at svn for an hour or so I finally gave up and downloaded the
tarball for OSE-3.2.8 Release and found that it runs Windows 7 at normal speed.

So, what would be the most efficient way to use svn to find the bad commit
between 3.2.8-Release and today's OSE.svn?

Does the svn repo actually have the revision that corresponds to the release
tarball?  If yes, how can I find that info without asking here?

Many thanks for a great product! (Great enough to deserve a git repo :)