[vbox-dev] is virtstor being implemented?

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Tue Oct 19 10:00:52 GMT 2010

On 19.10.2010 09:15, Huihong Luo wrote:
> Achim,
> Thanks for the clarification.
> I was playing Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 SP1 this morning, and they
> have SCSI Shunt Driver, a kind of virtstor, and it causes quite a
> difference when using it, so I was wondering there might be something.
> Now I know it must be due to their poor implementation on regular disk
> emulation.
> VBox team is superb ! The disk performance is impressive !
> There is one minor thing about fixed size disk creation, it seems to be
> quite slow. 10G VHD fixed size takes about 30 mins. Is this normal?
> Microsoft's VHD driver on windows 7 seems to be much faster. I know this
> isn't very important, as it's not used at runtime.

What? "VHD fixed" creation in VirtualBox is super fast, for 10G it takes
under a second here (VBoxManage createhd /path/to/test.vhd --size 10240
--format vhd --variant fixed). In fact we have a TODO in the code to
make it slower. At the moment the code just sets the file size to the
required capacity, making it a sparse file. We made VERY bad experience
with sparse file performance on Windows, writing a single 512 byte block
to such a file on NTFS can take several minutes, which might be your
real problem...

We don't really consider VHD a very important image format. The code is
well tested and has generally good performance, however it hasn't seen
much optimization. I personally wouldn't use it unless I absolutely have
to, and the only reason would be existing images.

Klaus