[vbox-dev] Access to specific isa card with VBox???

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Tue Nov 9 09:23:02 GMT 2010

On 09.11.2010 09:46, Djamel Hakkar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have a software that runs on MS-DOS and must communicate with a specific card installed on port isa.
> We  want to use this software in VBox with a machine that runs XP.
> Is it possible to access to the ISA port with VBox in this case?

ISA card forwarding isn't possible at the moment, and I'm not aware that
it's on the TODO list anywhere (unlike PCI card forwarding).

> Do we have to do a specific development?

Yes, if you want to "virtualize" custom hardware then at the moment
adding a device to VirtualBox is the only way. This assumes that the
host OS can somehow talk to the card. VirtualBox has a plugin interface
for custom devices, so once you developed the code you can add the
binary to VirtualBox installs.

Since I have no idea how complicated that card is and how much
virtualization effort it needs it's hard to tell whether it's only a few
hours or several weeks to get a working plugin prototype.

> Can you help us in this development, how much would it cost?

The only thing which may cover custom development is an OEM contract,
which to my knowledge is freely negotiable. The email address for such
inquiries is mentioned on http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Licensing_FAQ
and on
http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/virtualization/oraclevm/061976.html

Klaus