[vbox-dev] Error creating Session instance! rc = 0x80040154

Nikolay Igotti nikolay.igotti at oracle.com
Sat Nov 6 08:44:32 GMT 2010

    Have you tried running VBox own frontend? Does it work for you?
As you probably noticed, 0x80040154 is E_CLASSNOTREG, and means class is
not registered.
This problem may appear, if you installed 64-bit VirtualBox, and try to
use it from 32-bit COM client, or vice versa, as 32 and 64 bit COM
classes use different registry subtrees.
This is internal Microsoft COM limitation our team couldn't help with,
so just use client of matching bitness (32/64 bit client/server mixing
will work with XPCOM on other platforms,
as we have control over source code and fixed it for such usage scenario).

    Nikolay.