[vbox-dev] Error creating Session instance! rc = 0x80040154

Achim Hasenmüller achim.hasenmueller at oracle.com
Sat Nov 6 08:02:06 GMT 2010

First you should check what the error code means and in your case it's "class not registered". Are you running your COM application under a different user account than VirtualBox? Is the VirtualBox.h file from the SDK matching the version of VirtualBox that is installed? We change the class GUIs when we modify its methods.

I assume you've tried tstVBoxAPIWin.cpp and given that you were able to create an IVirtualBox instance, it's most likely related to a wrong GUID. The COM API is certainly not broken because it's used internally by e.g. VBoxManage.

Achim