[vbox-dev] What setextradata values are live in PEUL 3.2.4r62467

s_k_e_l Chris.Binner at btinternet.com
Thu Jun 24 08:52:01 GMT 2010

Hi folks,
I'm posting here to check if the code in
http://www.virtualbox.org/browser/trunk/src/VBox/Devices/PC/DevPcBios.cppVBoxMan
age is live and all the settings in
 /**
889     * @interface_method_impl{PDMDEVREG,pfnConstruct}
890     */
891    static DECLCALLBACK(int)  pcbiosConstruct(PPDMDEVINS pDevIns, int
iInstance, PCFGMNODE pCfg)
892    {
are visible in the PEUL version?

A more detailed overview (logs, xml, etc) of what I have tried is in
post on community forums
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32117

I am trying to use

setextradata "pxe2" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiChassisAssetTag" "l
oantag"

from a windows XP host to a windows PE ( 6.1.7600 ) guest.

I am having difficult querying it on a WinPE guest, the value appears to be
accepted into the pxe2.xml and valid in the log but I am getting No Instance(s)
when I query it within the WinPE.
Other queries work.

C:\wmictests>wmic csproduct list brief
Caption IdentifyingNumber Name Vendor Version
real:Computer System Product R8PVHR0 7459VTT LENOVO ThinkPad X200
vm: Computer System Product 0 VirtulaBox innotek GmbH 1.2

C:\wmictests>wmic systemenclosure get smbiosassettag
SMBIOSAssetTag
Real: loankit
V: No Instance(s) Available.
(No systemenclosure values exist)

I've looked at the source code (possibly not for this version).
http://www.virtualbox.org/browser/trunk/src/VBox/Devices/PC/DevPcBios.cpp
and the value (ChassisAssettag) I'm interested in seems to be exposed.

I have read interesting diversions about BIOS addins in
http://vbox.innotek.de/pipermail/vbox-dev/2008-May/000606.html

I appreciate that this is in a grey area as far as a post on a dev list, but a
reply with a list of what setextradata values are available to set and read
would be great. A pointer to the relevent code would be useful though I am
unlikely at this point to do any development coding.