[vbox-dev] VMLite XP Mode for VirtualBox released

Alexey Eremenko al4321 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 14:33:48 GMT 2010

status of VMlite plugin:
OK, I have it working now. But the feeling is mixed.

1. Integration: Having Host OS menu integration is nice, yes, but it
must work together with taskbar integration.
Currently it just confuses users because users expect the application
in question to also integrate with Host's taskbar, which does not
happen with XP mode.
Taskbar Integration is a must for this feature to be consistent with
Start menu integration.

2. Security: You name it so-called "secure mode IE", which is dead wrong !
When you start the VM you share all the host's hard disks as RW.
God forbid so-called "secure IE" catches a virus, and your Host is toasted.
IMO sharing of Host's HDDs should be optional (with a checkbox), with
a security warning nearby.
For "secure IE" I recommend wipe out the virtual hard disk after VM
shut down. (take snapshot before VM run, and revert to snapshot after
VM shut down)

3. For all other aspects it seems to behave like normal VirtualBox.
(at least for first time test, maybe later I will discover
differences...)

4. Integration: It is very nice to have shortcuts in Host's start menu
to be able to launch specific VMs directly.

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"