[vbox-dev] PulseAudio support rewrite [Patch]

Frank Mehnert Frank.Mehnert at Sun.COM
Tue Jan 5 08:12:37 GMT 2010

Art,

On Sunday 03 January 2010, Arthur Taylor wrote:
> >> A month ago I was approached by a VirtualBox user asking if I would
> >> take a look at the VirtualBox PulseAudio support code because of work
> >> I had done with PulseAudio and Wine. The attached patch is the result
> >> of my investigation. The code is simpler in some places and commented
> >> more. This patch's main purpose is that it fixes
> >> http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/4302 as pulse_run_in was completely
> >> rewritten. The way streams are connected and buffers metrics chosen
> >> was also simplified. Audio output should work as well as before or
> >> better. From what I can tell audio capture support had stopped working
> >> because of a PulseAudio daemon behavior change where it will now pass
> >> very very small fragments rather than only large ones.
> >>
> >> If the patch is needs improvement, I'm always wanting feedback. The
> >> contents of the patch are derived from VirtualBox source code.
> >> Contributions which are original are wholly my own work and are
> >> licensed under the MIT licence.

thanks for this patch! I'm currently reviewing it. While doing this
I will revert some of your coding style changes. Our coding style
is documented in doc/VBox-CodingGuidelines.cpp. Code which was imported
from other projects (e.g. some devices and drivers as well as parts of
the audio subsystem) will usually keep the style of the original project
while code written from scratch (like the pulseaudio driver) should
comply with the coding style of VBox. I hope you can comprehend our
intensions.

There is currently an issue (I'm still not 100% through your changes):
The flag PA_STREAM_ADJUST_LATENCY is only available starting with
PulseAudio 0.9.11 (PA_API_VERSION >= 12). As we support the PulseAudio
backend on older Linux distributions as well we need adaptions for
the older API.

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert

Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Wolf Frenkel