[vbox-dev] Source code for shared folders in Windows guests?

Frank Mehnert Frank.Mehnert at Sun.COM
Sat Jan 2 19:28:04 GMT 2010

Alfred,

please don't forget to cc: vbox-dev as these remarks might be interesting
to other users as well.

On Saturday 02 January 2010, you wrote:
> Well... I wanted to use this code as a starting point for a project I'm
> working on, in which I'm trying to implement a kind of opposite of the
> currently implemented shared folders, means that I want to mount a guest
> (Linux) filesystem within the host (Windows).
>
> But now I've got another question. Shared folders on the host side can
> be easily implemented by using the HGCM. But this manager just allows
> guests to send request packages to the host. Is it somehow possible to
> send request packages from the host to a guest? Since I'm trying to
> write a kind of file system driver for Windows, I would need to do this
> in kernel mode (on the host side).

the trick is to notify the guest using an interrupt. The guest interrupt
handler will then perform the HGCM operation.

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert

Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Wolf Frenkel