[vbox-dev] 2 questions

Michael Thayer Michael.Thayer at Sun.COM
Thu Apr 1 15:19:34 GMT 2010

Hello Jean-Philippe,

Le mercredi 31 mars 2010 à 20:50 +0200, Jean-Philippe MENGUAL a écrit :
> I'd like to contribute to VBox. That's why I've a question, then I'd
> like to know if you're interested by what I want to do, and how I can
> get the source code (at least this of the User Manual) for the vbox not
> OSE.
>
> 1. Now Sun is bought by Oracle, will vbox go on being developped as it
> was until now? I feel yes as I installed last Debian update but I prefer
> to ask.
I'm certainly not aware of any changes in direction that would affect
"non-commercial" users.  (And I don't really follow the sales side for
things which might affect the "commercial" ones :) )

> 2. If yes, would you be interested in a translation into French of the
> software? I'd like to translate the User Manual and the software because
> I think this software is among the best in its field, but a French
> friend needs my help to use it as he doesn't speak English. I guess a
> lot of users are in this case. But to do this I need source code of
> both, and I'd rather ordinary release because OSE doesn't have some
> features such as USB.
As we discussed on IRC, the software is already translated, although you
are welcome to provide feedback, fixes and whatever for the translation.
Regarding the manual, we discussed this briefly and liked the idea.  So
far we have always kept the code (open source) and non-code bits (logos,
manual) separate though, and we have to think a bit more about how we
will do this, and particularly about giving access to the manual source
code.  Would you be OK with starting translating based on the HTML
version, and we can incorporate that and make it public once it reaches
a reasonable stage for that?

If you need to discuss translation details and terminology and things
you can talk to me about that at any time, by mail or on IRC.

Regards,

Michael
--
Sun Microsystems GmbH        Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24               VirtualBox engineer
71384 Weinstadt, Germany     mailto:michael.thayer at sun.com

Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schroeder