[vbox-dev] VT-x not very stable?

Frank Mehnert Frank.Mehnert at Sun.COM
Mon Sep 28 15:28:52 GMT 2009

On Friday 25 September 2009, Huihong Luo wrote:
> Quite sometimes, especially for those large p2v VMs, I had to turn off VT-x
> in order to be able to launch the vm. It works well without VT-x, but
> terminated unexpectedly if VT-x is on. All other configs are same.
> Does VT-x improve performance significantly? What do I lose when VT-x is
> off? (except those known features, such as multiple CPUs, 64-bit, etc)
> Thanks,

VT-x/AMD-V is the preferred way of virtualization. The VM is probably
not faster than in software virtualization but the virtualization is
''more correct''. The software virtualizaion mode makes many assumptions
about the guest and the guest code is changed during execution to make
it executable on the VM. Such code modifications are visible to the guest
and pity guests aren't happy about this ...

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert    Sun Microsystems, Inc.    www.sun.com