[vbox-dev] sudden host poweroff results inaccessible virtual disks

Frank Mehnert Frank.Mehnert at Sun.COM
Thu Oct 29 15:29:49 GMT 2009

Hi Huihong Luo,

On Wednesday 28 October 2009, Huihong Luo wrote:
> when a vm is running (xp sp3 VHD in my case), and the host suffered a power
> outage. After host was back on, the virtual disk was corrupt.
> Seems quite reproducible, always results in corrupt disks.
>
> wonder if code can be improved for disks to survice this kind of power
> outage

are you using .vhd images very often? The latest trunk sources
(as well as VBox OSE 3.0.10) contain a fix which enforces writing
the .vhd footer every time a new block is allocated. In previous
versions, this footer was only written when the VM was successfully
shut down, so this fix might be related to your problem. Again,
this applies only to .vhd images.

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert

Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Wolf Frenkel