[vbox-dev] Custom front-end using non-OSE SDK

Brad Robinson brobinson at cantabilesoftware.com
Wed Oct 28 12:58:30 GMT 2009

Inline

[BR] See linker switches /SUBSYSTEM.  Apps linked with /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE
automatically get a console created unless the call to create the process
has the CREATE_NO_WINDOW flag.  For /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS it's the other way
around - they don't get a console window unless they specifically create one
in code.  So I guess VBoxHeadless could be made consoleless by switching it
to a GUI app rather than Console app.  In Visual Studio this setting can be
found in Linker -> System -> SubSystem.

> > Note that reusing OSE source code (covered by GPL) to talk to the
> > PUEL-licensed VRDP server component is a GPL violation.
>
> At least by U.S. copyright law, this isn't correct.  The two cannot be
> distributed together, but there's nothing against an individual user
> separately obtaining and using GPL and non-GPL code together for a
> particular application.

[BR] We'll I'm not really re-using any code from the OSE anyway, more just
using it for reference on how to talk to the SDK.  In fact my app is pure
Win32/ATL and doesn't even use the xpcom, sdl or any other libraries used in
the OSE.  Would this constitute a violation and if so does this imply I need
to do dark room development against the SDK?

Brad