[vbox-dev] Custom front-end using non-OSE SDK

John Whitley whitley at acm.org
Tue Oct 27 15:28:49 GMT 2009

Klaus Espenlaub wrote:
> Do you know for sure that there is no flag which can be set in the
> executable to avoid the console window? That's where I would start
> digging if I'd have time.

Yes, you can do this.  This is how all Windows GUI apps are built.  In
fact, that distinction is the hallmark between "console" mode apps and
"gui" mode apps in Windows.  I may be able to look up the low-level
particulars later -- but if you have access to Visual Studio, just
generate a basic console app template vs. a basic gui app template and
compare them.  I'm not sure offhand whether this will be in the
skeleton code for the app, or somewhere in the compile flags.  Be sure
to check out both.

> Note that reusing OSE source code (covered by GPL) to talk to the
> PUEL-licensed VRDP server component is a GPL violation.

At least by U.S. copyright law, this isn't correct.  The two cannot be
distributed together, but there's nothing against an individual user
separately obtaining and using GPL and non-GPL code together for a
particular application.

-- John