[vbox-dev] change progress callback percent to float?

Klaus Espenlaub Klaus.Espenlaub at Sun.COM
Fri Oct 9 08:46:13 GMT 2009

Huihong Luo wrote:
> That's correct observation, but I am proposing a very simple fix for the
> 1st 1% to show up on progress bar, etc.

Seems I don't understand what exactly you want to improve. It sounds
rather user-unfriendly to me to mis-inform the user by letting the
progress bar reach 1% faster than it would if a linear scale is used.
Additionally that would work directly against the code which tries to
calculate a reasonable ETA value.

> If changing the arg to float,
> then I can at aleast know how many bytes has transfered at the begining,
> instead of 0. Another way is to send back the total bytes transfered,
> instead of percentage

The change to double certainly sounds relatively easy, but it requires a
bit of effort to adapt all places which use the progress notification
logic. Besides that we'd need to verify that _all_ client language
bindings for both (XP)COM and webservice flavors can correctly deal with
floating point values.

The proposal to send the bytes transferred doesn't easily fit into a
general purpose progress notification system, as the meaning of a value
between 0 and e.g. UINT64_MAX is pretty meaningless to e.g. the GUI.

As long as I don't understand what real problem you're after I can only
provide such background information. Don't get me wrong, I'm not
opposing changes in this area.

Klaus

--
Dr. Klaus Espenlaub