[vbox-dev] need help with VirtualBox built from source - cant start vm

Frank Mehnert Frank.Mehnert at Sun.COM
Mon Mar 2 17:05:07 GMT 2009

On Sunday 01 March 2009, Eric van Tassell wrote:
> I'm have "issues" starting a vm with VirtualBox built from source from
> VirtualBox-2.1.4-OSE.tar.bz2 or a tree pulled
> from svn on 02/26 revision 17173.
>
> In either case I get
>     "failed to open a session for virtual machine vistaVtx
>     Virtual machine 'vistaVtx' has terminated unexpectedly during startup
>
>     Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
>     Component: Machine
>     Interface: IMachine {ea6fb7ea-1993-4642-b113-f29eb39e0df0}
>
> this machine starts fine if I point to the installation of the prebuild
> 2.1.4 bits and not my build from source.
>
> If it's not obvious what I've done wrong, can someone suggest an
> efficient way to track down the issue?

In such cases please

 1) Make sure that you don't mix VBox installations, that is,
    before you start OSE binaries, make sure that any VBox
    package is uninstalled.

 2) Make sure both VBox kernel modules are properly loaded
    (vboxdrv and vboxnetflt). And make sure that there is
    a device /dev/vboxdrv which is accessible for the current
    user (if you've build VBox in non-hardened mode) or by
    root (in the hardened case).

 3) Start the VBoxSVC daemon manually in a dedicated terminal.

 4) Start the VM manually doing

      VirtualBox -startvm VM_NAME

Look for any other error messages / SEGFAULTs when from VBoxSVC
or the VirtualBox process.

Kind regards,

Frank
--