[vbox-dev] custom signal handling?

Lev Lvovsky lists2 at sonous.com
Mon Jun 22 18:51:42 GMT 2009

Hi Christian,

On Jun 22, 2009, at 10:40 AM, Christian Pöštzsch wrote:

> Hi Lev,
>
> /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxManage controlvm
> acpipowerbutton "vmname" should do it.

Yep, this is what I use right now.  However Apple's launchd watches
over a paritcular program, so since this is a different binary from
the VBoxHeadless which I'll be running, it won't be sending any
signals to it.  Moreover, I would imagine that sending the TERM signal
to VBoxHeadless would just terminate the app w/o cleanly shutting down
(as the powerbutton would).

> See also chapter 8 of the user manual.
>
> Alternatively you could use the sdk to control vbox with your own
> program. There exists several bindings e.g. for python or java.
> Therefor see also the manual.

This looks like it might be the way to go - thank you for your help!

-lev