[vbox-dev] Is gcc 3.3.x really necessary to compile the recompiler?

Nikolay Igotti Nikolay.Igotti at Sun.COM
Tue Jul 14 19:25:27 GMT 2009

  Hi Huihong,

Actually this file is built on Windows using cross-compiler for Linux
target :). It's being built this way, because there was no good MinGW
for 64-bit at times it was done, and REM relies on GCC extensions
(notably global registers variables and some FP stuff) to function
correctly. Right approach would be to rebuild recompiler with MSVC
eventually, but it needs a volunteer (I think it was done for QEMU, so
should be feasible).
Also if taking MinGW64 approach don't forget calling convention
difference on AMD64 between Linux and Windows. REM relies on that too
(not too hard to fix, for sure, just need a bit of understanding in TCG).

If you (or someone else on this list ) will do that - I can help with
getting patch integrated (never found enough time/desire to do that myself).

Thanks,
Nikolay.