[vbox-dev] diff for configure.vbs for 64 build

Knut St. Osmundsen bird at sun.com
Fri Jul 3 10:02:12 GMT 2009

Huihong Luo wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> I managed to build all pieces on win.amd64 except these two modules:
>
> VBoxRem2.rel and RuntimeR3NoCRTGCC
>
> I had to comment these 2 out from .kmk files in order to build the rest.
>
> Can you shed some lights on how to build these two? What mingw gcc
> version are you using on amd64 windows platform? or, if you build these
> two on linux, how do you do that? (seems VBoxREM2.rel is ELF image
> format, instead of windows dll format)

We are using a 64-bit linux cross compiler build of GCC to build
VBoxREM2 and the associated no-crt library. The reason is simply that at
the time when we did the 64-bit port of VirtualBox, no 64-bit GCC port
was available for Windows.

Note that Microsoft uses a different calling convention than GCC on the
AMD64 architecture, so src/recompiler/VBoxREMWrapper.cpp and its
assembly sidekick is having fun thunking between the two conventions.

We are following the mingw64 progress and will try it out when there is
a final release if not earlier.

--

Kind regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Vennlig hilsen,
  Knut

--

Sun Microsystems GmbH        Knut St. Osmundsen
Werkstrasse 24               Senior Staff Engineer, VirtualBox
71384 Weinstadt, Germany     mailto:bird at sun.com

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sun Microsystems GmbH,
Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schroeder,
Wolfgang Engels, Wolf Frenkel