[vbox-dev] Driver 'VBoxHDD' wasn't found!

Klaus Espenlaub Klaus.Espenlaub at Sun.COM
Mon Feb 9 14:03:44 GMT 2009

Stefan Koesling wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to run run vbox ose (vboxbfe.exe) )wich I build with vc++
> express edition with a .vdi file that was created with the closed source
> edition.
> I get the following error message:
>
> !!Assertion Failed!!
> Expression: <none>
> Location  : E:\VBox\trunk\src\VBox\VMM\PDMDriver.cpp(594) pdmR3DrvHlp_Attach
> Driver 'VBoxHDD' wasn't found!
>

> I tried to debug and found that pDriversNode == null in pdmR3DrvInit(PVM
> pVM)
>     /*
>      * Load the builtin module
>      */
>     PCFGMNODE pDriversNode = CFGMR3GetChild(CFGMR3GetRoot(pVM),
> "PDM/Drivers");
>

> Is my vbox build incomplete? Do you have any ideas what could be wrong?

All fine. Just VBoxBFE wasn't updated lately to take the disk image
handling changes into account. It was just silently broken without
anyone noticing, as VBoxBFE isn't packaged. Thanks for spotting this.

VBoxHDD is the old VDI only driver, which was removed with version 2.1.
Should be fixed now in latest trunk version.

Thanks,