[vbox-dev] Shared pages

Antonio Augusto (Mancha) mkhaos7 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 17:54:13 GMT 2009

Hey there guys,

Dunno if this is the correct list to post this doubt, but I don't
think it fits in a user list... so here it goes: does virtual box
support/use shared pages to reduce memory usage?

I ask this because I've two Windows VMs that are being run from the
same base immutable image. Both VMs have 128Mb of memory and I see
that both of them are, currently using 182MB of memory being idle(got
from teh resident memory info on htop).
Not only I see a (in my opion) a big overhead in memory usage, but the
memory is not being reused, when I'm pretty sure 90% of the machines
memmory are common.
This happens because ballooning is not yet implemented or shared pages
are working in a way that I can't understand?

I'm running VBox 2.2 PUEL under Ubuntu 9.04 x86_64.

Cheers.