[vbox-dev] FreeBSD build

Desmond Chapman que_deseja at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 14 11:42:25 GMT 2008

Mr St. Osmunden.
I do not consider it a simple problem. here is why:

PORTNAME=	kBuild
PORTVERSION=	0.1.3
CATEGORIES=	devel
MASTER_SITES=	ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/kbuild/
DISTNAME=	${PORTNAME}-${PORTVERSION}-src

MAINTAINER=	xxxx
COMMENT=	Makefile framework

# XXX: This case is not handled by USE_AUTOTOOLS as kmk bootstrap involves
# running these directly.
BUILD_DEPENDS=	automake-1.9:${PORTSDIR}/devel/automake19 \
		autoconf-2.62:${PORTSDIR}/devel/autoconf262

BROKEN=		changes permissions on already installed binaries

WRKSRC=		${WRKDIR}/${PORTNAME}-${PORTVERSION}

I am the one working on this port. I need the patches to fix it. This is not spam.
Any BSD release- whether it be Free, Net, Open, or Dragonfly- is not going to compromise
it's security for a binary or a build system. If the source code was released to where it wasn't
dependent upon a certain build system, it would have already been added to the FreeBSD ports and the kernel driver would be
an ongoing and active project.

Because of the lack of documentation about build process and errors AND the lack of developers who are willing to submit changes and patches to the public
in the form of such documentation, I have to ask constantly for help. WE both are aware that neither part of the previous statement should be true but it is.
I post the patches for the community to see, not hide them.

Back to the original post:

kBuild needs to be patched to where it doesn't compromise security. If the configure script had an "NO_KBUILD" option,
and produced a normal Makefile, the porting- as already said- would have been done.

You would not going to compromise your code if automake was a possible security issue.
The same applies to FreeBSD and kBuild.

Ladies and gentlemen, I need those patches for kBuild-0.1.3 and kBuild-0.1.4 and VirtualBox-2.0.0.
The source code in a non-kBuild-dependent form would also be nice.