[vbox-dev] 2.0.2 - QT Frontends don't compile on windows: VBoxqt-mt.lib requested, moc not found, ...

Klaus Espenlaub Klaus.Espenlaub at Sun.COM
Mon Oct 13 09:51:00 GMT 2008

nolan de souza wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> Thanks for the efforts in checking this out. I've also been been
> wondering why this has not been fixed in the build scripts from trunk.
> Maybe you can send patches for the fixes. Or I'll try and incorporate
> what you've said into patches for configure.vbs etc and send them to
> everyone. I'm sure it'll help all of us. I've been building on Visual
> Studio 2005 thus far but *without* the QT frontends, since that part of
> the build hadn't worked for me.

If you have anything useful to contribute don't hesitate. Read
http://virtualbox.org/wiki/Contributor_information and send patches or
whatever to this list.

> I have a few questions though:
>
> 1. I believe VirtualBox 2.0.2 shipped with QT4 (4.3.3), because I see
> the VBoxQtCore4.dll and VBoxQtGui4.dll files present and do not see any
> QT3 references.
>
> 2. So, a question for the owners... Is building with QT3 required at all?

No, QT3 is not required any more. If you build 2.0.2 from the sources
you CAN still build a QT3 based GUI, but the default (and what we ship)
is QT4 based.

> 3. I am wondering if I maybe looking at the right code. I've picked the
> latest from trunk, does this contain all the merges from the 2.0.2
> release branch?

Trunk != 2.0.2 != 2.0 maintenance

> 4. If not, then what's the maintenance branch for latest VirtualBox 2.0.2?

We do not provide public access to the maintenance branches - would
require too much manpower with very little benefit. The OSE code is
meant to be suitable for new development. Backporting and other
maintenance work will be handled by the VirtualBox team. So the sooner
you contribute something the more likely it is that the improvement will
make it into the next release.