[vbox-dev] Shared memory API like mmap for fast IPC

Nev vbox at zavalon.com
Wed Oct 8 05:55:18 GMT 2008

The following, is a post I made on the VirtualBox user forum. And
"sandervl" from Sun Microsystems, suggest I redirect my question here.

I have an application that requires very fast communications between the
guest application and host application. Host is Linux, Centos 5, Guest
is XP. Current implementation is based on VMware workstation 6.0 using
VMCI shared memory interface, but this interface has been removed in
workstation 6.5 and replaced with a socket interface, which is way too
slow. I have searched, but unable to find any such interface in
VirtualBox. Is it possible to share memory with an existing interface,
that I have missed?

sandervl suggested the HGCM interface is appropriate (with some
coding?), I have been unable to find any documentation on this
interface. Is it documented, or do I need to refer to the source?

I have downloaded the source, but have not yet been able to satisfy the
Prerequisites. Current issue is missing PulseAudio.

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you