[vbox-dev] Updating the FAQ?

Klaus Espenlaub Klaus.Espenlaub at Sun.COM
Tue Oct 7 13:24:03 GMT 2008

Amit k. Saha wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 8:35 PM, Klaus Espenlaub <Klaus.Espenlaub at sun.com> wrote:
>> Amit k. Saha wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Is there any way I can update the FAQ? I would like to add at least
>>> one new Q and its A.
>>>
>>> How to go about it?
>> Quite easy. Just mail them here and we'll pick up anything which is
>> verified to be correct. Let us know if you want the FAQ item to be
>> attributed to you or not.
>
> Here it is:

This is a valid issue, and a good starting point. However in the current
shape it's helping just a subset of the people. In the first place the
location you specified is true for the rpm/deb packages, but not the
.run one. Additionally it doesn't mention the place where the OSE
variant downloads the ISO to. Also what's missing is the other host
platforms - Windows, Mac OSX and Solaris.

Should we just add this or do you want to have ago at this yourself?

> Q: Where is my VirtualBox Guest Additions ISO?
>

> In the user manual, installing the guest additions is well documented.
> However, where do you get the guest additions ISO?
>
> On Linux it lives in /usr/share/virtualbox (provided you have
> installed it to the standard locations)
>
> PS: Guest additions provide a lot of value addition to your guests.
> So, if you are looking to do anything serious, go ahead and install
> them. I have installed the guest additions for Windows XP and Solaris.
> Works like charm.
>

> I would like the attribution as follows:
>
> Attribution: Amit Saha (http://amitsaha.in.googlepages.com)
>

> Hope the FAQ makes it.

I'll add it as soon as I've got feedback on the issues above.