[vbox-dev] Starting the virtual machine 0%

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 17:57:32 GMT 2008

Aaron Von Gauss wrote:
By any chance do you have an audio device associated with the VM when
you experience the hang at the 0% startup dialog?  If so, if you remove
the audio device does it then boot correctly?

BINGO!! I disabled the audio device, and the machine
started up.
The downside is that NONE of the audio options will
let me start the machine. My sound card is one of
those cheap realtek MB integrated chips on laptop.
FC7 sees it as:

00:02.6 Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Modem Controller
(rev a0)
00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)

The driver that gets loaded is OSS:
$ lsmod | grep oss
snd_seq_oss            37185  0 snd_seq_midi_event     14913  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq                56673  5
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device         15061  3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss            47553  0 snd_mixer_oss          22721  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                80585  5
snd_intel8x0,snd_intel8x0m,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd                    59753  14
snd_intel8x0,snd_intel8x0m,snd_ac97_codec,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer

So now, the VM cannot use any sound at all?? Somewhat deflates it's
usefulness.