[vbox-dev] Newer revisions not compiling on Debian Lenny

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 18:29:53 GMT 2008

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008, André Neves wrote:

> Hi Walt. Thanks for all the help.
>
> Frank pointed that gcc-4.1 wasn't good,

I forgot to mention that I've been using 4.1.2 because that's the latest
there is on gentoo "stable" and I've had no problems.

> so I tried with gcc-4.2, only to get
> errors linking libstdc++.a:
>
> kBuild: Linking tstVMStructGC  <------ Note the 'GC'

Aha!  I just remembered that one of the big kids ;-) in this list
told me that all the GC code in vbox is 32 bits, not 64.  That
means that you need to enable 32-bit emulation in your kernel
config file and install the 32-bit compatibility libs on your
machine before you can link those test binaries.

I was off on a tangent about static linking, although I learned
a lot while wandering, which is why I do all this in the first
place.

Hope this helps.