[vbox-dev] Compiling svn for linux x86_64?

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 19:01:18 GMT 2008

While compiling vbox svn with gcc 4.1.2 I get this error:

/home/wa1ter/src/vbox/src/VBox/Runtime/r0drv/linux/alloc-r0drv-linux.c:35:
/usr/src/2.6.26-gentoo-r1/include/asm/smp.h:183:28: error:
mach_apicdef.h: No such file or directory

The offending lines from smp.h:

# ifdef APIC_DEFINITION
extern int hard_smp_processor_id(void);
# else
#  include <mach_apicdef.h>

Strangely, the only place that defines APIC_DEFINITION is in a c kernel
source file, and not in any header file.  I figure this means that any
third party app like vbox will always include <mach_apicdef.h> because
it will never know where the APIC_DEFINITION comes from(?).

Anyway, mach_apicdef.h is in /usr/src/linux/include/asm/mach-default/
where Linus put it, I imagine, so it seems odd that the kernel's own
header file can't find it there.  I'm wondering if this is really a
kernel bug?

I can't really be the first person to have this problem, can I?
Anyone else seen it?  (BTW, I have no trouble building vbox on a
32-bit SMP version of the same linux distribution, so it seems to
be 64-bit specific.)

Thanks.