[vbox-dev] 1.6.2 OSE: Host CD/DVD ROM drive not available in VM Settings

Jari Aalto jari.aalto at tamk.fi
Thu Aug 14 15:32:14 GMT 2008

Frank Mehnert <Frank.Mehnert at Sun.COM> writes:

> On Thursday 14 August 2008, Jari Aalto wrote:
>> The [pulldown menu] does not list any devices.
>>
>>     http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=495035
>
> Nothing obvious.
>
> Please could you open a bug report at our public bugtracker. Sorry,
> I've seen your Debian bug but it is easier for us to follow the
> discussion.
>
> After opening the bug report make sure you attach the output of
>
>     lshal

This was the obvious. "lashal" read:

    Could not initialise connection to hald.
    Normally this means the HAL daemon (hald) is not running or not ready.

And /var/log/syslog

     kernel: [78521.748563] hald[12563]: segfault at 0 ip 410377 sp 7fff2be745e0 error 4 in hald[400000+4d000]

Trying to restart failed as well.

    /etc/init.d/hal start

Impossible to say what was the reason, but I ended up reinstalling all
of hal:

    apt-get --reinstall install hal

I've sumitted feature request to suggest displaying a message next in
empty pulldown menu

    http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/1958

Virtual box now sees the device ok. Thank you,
Jari