[vbox-dev] FreeBSD VirtualBox patch

Matt datahead4 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 15:47:06 GMT 2007

Hi Frank.

On 9/19/07, Frank Mehnert <frank at innotek.de> wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> On Wednesday 19 September 2007, Matt wrote:
> > > Just checking the change to the configure script. Which test fails on
> > > your box if you don't pass -I/usr/local/include and -L/usr/lib to gcc
> > > in test_compile? I wonder if we have to add these directories to
> > > AutoConfig.kmk as well...
> > >
> > On my FreeBSD configure attempts, xalan and xerces are not found
> > properly without patching configure with /usr/local/include and
> > /usr/local/lib.  I would assume that things like libIDL, SDL and Qt
> > may also have that problem since they are in the /usr/local hierarchy
> > as well.
>
> Ok, I added /usr/local to the search path of xalan and xerces. If SDL
> resides there then it should be found if /usr/local/bin is inside the
> path (configure calls sdl-config).
>
> Does it work for you now? (don't forget 'svn update')
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Frank
> --
> Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert    innotek GmbH, http://www.innotek.de

Looks like it's almost there, but my X libraries need some help now.
Here is my ./configure output using the current subversion checkout:

Checking for environment: Determined build machine: freebsd.x86,
target machine: freebsd.x86, OK.
Checking for kBuild: found, OK.
Checking for gcc: found version 4.2.1, OK.
Checking for as86: found version 0.16.17, OK.
Checking for bcc: found version 0.16.17, OK.
Checking for iasl: found version 20070320, OK.
Checking for xslt: found, OK.
Checking for pthread: found, OK.
Checking for xalan: found version 1.10.0, OK.
Checking for xerces: found version 2.7.0, OK.
Checking for libIDL: found version 0.8.8, OK.
Checking for zlib: found version 1.2.3, OK.
Checking for SDL: found version 1.2.11, OK.
Checking for X libraries:
  Xlibs not found at -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib64 -lXext -lX11
or Xlibs headers not found
  Check the file configure.log for detailed error information.

Full configure log is available at: http://www.datahead.org/configure.log

The FreeBSD ports infrastructure locates all X-related files under
/usr/local now (previously under /usr/X11R6) except for
/etc/X11/xorg.conf (at least I think that's the only one).  So, the
file that the configure log says it can't find is located at
/usr/local/include/X11/Xlib.h.

Hope that helps.  I'll try and stay connected to IRC too if you want
to chat more interactively about this.

Thanks,
Matt