[vbox-dev] Porting guest additions to Syllable

Дмитрий Казимиров dkazimirow at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 18:57:52 GMT 2007

For starters i think you have to get Virtual Box SVN tree to your system(is
Subversion protet to Syllable?)
After that you must be familar with build scheme.
Additions consist of two main parts (as i understood):
VBoxGuestLib which handle communication with host process(Located in
.\src\VBox\Additions\common\)
and platform-dependent services.
- shared folders under linux is implement as VFS module (code is located in
.\src\VBox\Additions\linux\sharedfolders\)
I dont know how Syllable support mountable filesystems but linux vfs module
could serve as basis for Syllable mountable file sytem).
- you also need kernel driver (for communicating with host).Example of such
driver for linux is at .\src\VBox\Additions\linux\module.
As simple example to work with  this kernel driver you could use Virtual
Box's time sync daemon for linux (it is more simple than sharedfolders
module).Sources of time sync daemon are in .\src\VBox\Additions\linux\daemon

As for 'graphics' modules(screen  autoresize,etc) situation is worse.

p.s. As make utility i sugget using GNU Make (or porting VirtualBox's kmk,
which you need to do anyway if you want to make Syllable host for Virtual
Vox in future)

2007/7/17, Turki Al-Marri <turki.almarri at gmail.com>:

> On 7/16/07, Alexey Eremenko <al4321 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm always happy to see more collaboration between OS-vendors and
> VirtualBox
>
> Errmm.. don't get me wrong, but I'm not one of the main devs, I'm only
> a big fan. But still most of them expressed joy of having it working
> under VirtualBox in the mailing list. Though there were complaints
> about the speed, but that's not a big deal as VirtualBox is still
> young and there is still room for improvement.
>
> Now back to the main thread, would anyone give some pointers on
> developing guest additions (no, 0xdeadbeef isn't an acceptable pointer
> :P ).

Yours truly, Dmitriy Kazimirov

--- You live and learn. Or you don't live long. - R. Heinlein