[vbox-dev] Why is IPRT a VirtualBox library ?

Alexander Eichner Alexander.Eichner at oracle.com
Sun Apr 12 12:34:16 GMT 2015

Hi Alexey,

this is not possible, because IPRT addresses requirements which can’t be fulfilled by Qt.
First, parts of IPRT are designed to run in host context ring 3 and ring 0 and
in raw mode context (RC) which is not possible with Qt.
Second, Qt uses C++ features like classes, templates, etc. extensively which
we don’t want to use in the VMM core.
Last but not least, IPRT was developed over a long time and every other component
of VBox relies heavily on it so replacing the dependencies with Qt is a _huge_ amount of work
which we can’t and don’t want to invest.

Every API exposed by IPRT should have a least documentation to describe the method which can be
created using „kmk docs“ if oxygen is installed. Furthermore we have a lot of testcases you can look at.
For your purpose I suggest to look at src/VBox/Runtime/testcase/tstRTTcp-1.cpp

Regards,
Alexander Eichner

--
Alexander Eichner | VirtualBox Engineering
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | 71384 Weinstadt, Germany

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher