[vbox-dev] Why is IPRT a VirtualBox library ?

Alexey Eromenko al4321 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 09:17:50 GMT 2015

I mean why Qt Core can't be used as a cross-platform generic library
for strings, sockets, files and the like ?
What IPRT does sounds fairly generic.
Maybe Qt Core can be used both for COM backend and frontend.

Perhaps "upstreaming", i.e. patching Qt where necessary would ease the burden.

Same is true for many GUI stuff, like custom VBox File picker, that in
theory should go into Qt -- QFileDialog::getOpenFileName().

The problem with VirtualBox specific code, is that there is no good
documentation for internal APIs, and therefore hard to code for
external developers. But the question is: Is this extra complexity and
wrappers really needed ?

Good news, is that there is good documentation for official APIs, the
VirtualBox SDK. Makes life easier.

This is why I use Sockets API instead of iprt/tcp.h (for now) -- many
tutorials for it on the net.
Makefile (kmk) system is also complex and undocumented, and hard to
debug to add new features.
--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"