[vbox-dev] Darwin (NOT OS X) on VirtualBox using recent QEMU patches

Alexey Eremenko al4321 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 11:03:33 GMT 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Stuart Crook <stuart at echus.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'll start by reiterating that by Darwin I mean Apple's neglected
> technically-open-source-but-good-luck-getting-it-to-build OS, and NOT OS X.
> And I know that there's a long-running thread on the subject in the user
> forums, but that degenerated into a discussion of the best way to pirate
> Leopard a long time ago.

I loved that "degenerated" part :)
Actually you can start a new thread, like "Mac OS X as guest:
developer's discussion"
Or you can simply continue the old thread if you wish... "re-route" it
to your direction.

> I'm working on the PureDarwin project
> (www.puredarwin.org), and we've got a just-about usable Darwin distro up and
> running. We currently distribute it as a VMWare image, but we'd like to move
> to VirtualBox so more people can use it.
>
> Recently some patches for QEMU 0.10.0 have appeared which allow it to run
> Darwin. (I'm not sure if they're in the main svn yet. There are a few
> details here: http://www.puredarwin.org/developers/qemu ). I'm sorry, but I
> don't know the exact relationship of QEMU code to VirtualBox, so I was
> wondering if someone who did could take a look and see whether it was
> possible (and trivial) to integrate these changes. You'd have the eternal
> thanks of a small but growing OSS community.

I have a list of those patches exists on the first page of my "Mac OS X" topic.

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"