[vbox-dev] Darwin (NOT OS X) on VirtualBox using recent QEMU patches

Stuart Crook stuart at echus.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 6 10:46:08 GMT 2009

Hi.

I'll start by reiterating that by Darwin I mean Apple's neglected
technically-open-source-but-good-luck-getting-it-to-build OS, and NOT
OS X. And I know that there's a long-running thread on the subject in
the user forums, but that degenerated into a discussion of the best
way to pirate Leopard a long time ago. I'm working on the PureDarwin
project (www.puredarwin.org), and we've got a just-about usable Darwin
distro up and running. We currently distribute it as a VMWare image,
but we'd like to move to VirtualBox so more people can use it.

Recently some patches for QEMU 0.10.0 have appeared which allow it to
run Darwin. (I'm not sure if they're in the main svn yet. There are a
few details here: http://www.puredarwin.org/developers/qemu ). I'm
sorry, but I don't know the exact relationship of QEMU code to
VirtualBox, so I was wondering if someone who did could take a look
and see whether it was possible (and trivial) to integrate these
changes. You'd have the eternal thanks of a small but growing OSS
community.

Thanks for your time.

_sjc_

ps. 2.2 Beta 2 doesn't run Darwin.