Ticket #9299 (closed defect: fixed)
USB device not recognised correctly in VB 4.1.0 => Fixed in SVN
|Reported by:||kurts||Owned by:|
An USB device e. g. (old) Canon scanner, which doesn't have a driver software installed on the Windows host, will not be recognised by Virtualbox 4.1.0, hence won't be listed in the USB selection menue and can't be used in e. g. a Windows XP virtual machine. This was possible on VB 4.0.8, 4.0.10 and 4.0.12. Any other USB equipment (e. g. USB memory stick) with correctly installed driver on the host will work without any problems in any virtual machine. This wasn't the case up to VB 4.1.0.
- Define manually the USB filter for the not recognised device in the VM configuration
- Start VM
- Un-plug and re-plug USB device (Scanner)
- USB device (Scanner) will be assigned correct to VM and can be used.
However, if the specific USB device will then be manually unassigned in the USB menue of the VM, it won't be possible to re-assign it again without re-booting the host computer first. The reason is a false release handling of VB at the un-assign process (see attached error message). While the USB device will show up again in the device manager of the host, it probably will stay in a limbo mode in the VM. It is not possible to get the un-assign sound from the VM. This release and re-assign process does also not work in previous VB versions 4.0.x, however it will work in VB 4.1.0 with USB memory sticks only.
Host: Windows 7 SP1 64 bit all patches
Guests: Windows XP SP3 32 bit all patches with and without Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.0-73009.vbox-extpack
- Summary changed from USB device not recognised correctly in VB 4.1.0 to USB device not recognised correctly in VB 4.1.0 => Fixed in SVN
- Status changed from closed to reopened
- Resolution fixed deleted