Ticket #9193 (closed defect: obsolete)
writing to shared folder errors with 'Protocol error' when 'VBoxControl sharedfolder list' runs
|Reported by:||dlesaffre||Owned by:|
Description (last modified by aeichner) (diff)
On a Windows 7 host, using VirtualBox 4.0.10 (also happened with 4.0.8), I have an Ubuntu Lucid host running (kernel 2.6.32-28-generic), with the corresponding guest additions.
- define a SharedFolder, say C:\vbShare, named vbShare
- mount the share in the Ubuntu guest (automount, or mount with 'mount -t vboxsf ..', or mount with 'mount.vboxsf ..', makes no difference)
- in one xterm session, run
# dd if=/dev/urandom of=/media/sf_vbShare/random_data.txt bs=1M count=100
- in another xterm session, while the above command runs, run
# VBoxControl sharedfolder list
- the first command errors out with
dd: writing '/media/sf_vbShare/rando_data.txt': Protocol error
I'm using 'dd' to be able to reproduce a more general problem. Copying or moving a big enough file to the shared folder results in the same error message when the 'VBoxControl sharedfolder list' command is run before the copy/move operation is finished.
The error was first observed from within a Terminal server session running in the Ubuntu guest, copying a large file to the shared folder.
The error is also reproducible with a Gentoo Linux guest (kernel 2.6.35-gentoo-r15, with outdated guest additions (3.2.12)).
When this error occurs, there is no change in the VBox.log file of the VM session.