Ticket #6436 (closed defect: invalid)
3.1.6 on Solaris x64 5/08: System unstable upon install of package
|Reported by:||gbulfon||Owned by:|
Hello, Today I was going to a customer needing me to install an old win98 into a VM to run an old software. No better time to test this new 3.1.6 build of VBox! Got my hands on the HP Server running Solaris 10 5/08 x64, downloaded and pkgadded VBox 3.1.6...and...
- noticed the install last phase (loading drivers and so on) was a little bit slow...then, while updating the boot archive, it was never returning to bash
- I opened a new ssh session to the host...nor prstat nor top were responding...as if kernel was hang....
- Pressed ctrl+c on the pkgadd "updating boot archive"...after some more ctrl+c it gave me back the bash prompt
- now top and prstat was responding, back to normal
So, package was installed anyway, and I tried to use it:
- created vm and all its necessary flags (tried both with virtex and no virtex), no apic, no pae, no paging, 1 ide disk, bridged network, 256Mb ram, 5Gb HD-VDI fixed.
- ran win98 install from cd iso
- after first installation reboot, the vm killed itself on "hardware plug&play discovery" of win98
- restarted the VM, and install continued
- now, again at "hardware plug&play discovery", complete host system hang (system console would not go to the text console login)
- had to manually poweroff / poweron
- so I restarted the VM
- this time, it went on preparing last win98 stuff, and at once I got a complete host system reset...
I believe it's something about the Solaris host, probably won't have problems on a recent OpenSolaris. Maybe Solaris is going to be unsupported?