Ticket #5105 (new enhancement)
Open file in guest by guest additions
|Reported by:||Dominic Battre||Owned by:|
Description (last modified by frank) (diff)
I would like to suggest a feature to open files in a guest system.
Suppose you run a Linux host environment with a mail client and receive a .docx file that shall be opened in MS Office in a virtual machine. The workflow today would be:
- save file in temporary directory [host system]
- open explorer [guest]
- navigate to temporary directory [guest]
- open file [guest]
Offer an executable "open_in_vm" for the guest system. The user could then ask the mail client to "Open with..." -> "open_in_vm".
The "open_in_vm" executable would
- translate the local path into a shared path (/tmp/document.docx becomes \Vboxsrvroot\tmp\document.docx) and
- ask the guest addition in the VM to open \Vboxsrvroot\tmp\document.docx with the default executable as the user currently logged in
- if no VM is started, the "open_in_vm" executable could ask the user whether a VM should be started and which one
- if several VMs are started, the "open_in_vm" executable could ask which one should open the file
I don't know how difficult it would be to implement this feature but I think it would be extremely useful. I did not find a feature request describing this behavior.