Ticket #4355 (closed defect: fixed)
3.0.0 Solaris guest additions graphics broken with OpenSolaris 2009.06 -> fixed in 3.0.6 beta 1
|Reported by:||constantin||Owned by:|
|Version:||VirtualBox 3.0.0||Keywords:||X.org X display dri vboxvideo|
|Host type:||Mac OS X|
With OpenSolaris 2009.06, running on VirtualBox 3.0.0 running on Mac OS X "Leopard", guest additions installed, the display is garbled. Attached is a screenshot of the virtual machine window showing a broken login screen, as well as a copy of VBox.log.
Looking at Xorg.0.log (attached), it seems that the VirtualBox display module can't connect to the dri device:
(==) VBoxVideo(0): Default visual is TrueColor drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0 drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address) drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address) drmOpenDevice: Open failed drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0 drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address) drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address) drmOpenDevice: Open failed [drm] failed to load kernel module "vboxvideo" (EE) [drm] drmOpen failed. (EE) VBoxVideo(0): DRIScreenInit failed, disabling DRI.
I get the impression that the vboxvideo Xorg module works, but somehow can't connect to the kernel module through dri and therefore there is no negotiation between the host and the guest re: display resolution. Therefore, X.org seems to render graphics under wrong assumptions over display resolution etc., resulting in the garbled screen. This is just my personal feeling, no hard facts on this one.
Resizing the window doesn't change anything, nor does switching between full-screen and window mode. When resizing the window, the canvas stays the same and scrollbars appear, indicating that the window-resize doesn't work. Mouse pointer integration and the rest of the guest additions seem to work ok.
- Kill the X Server through Ctrl-Alt-Delete.
- Log in quickly through the Solaris console (may need to kill X again to complete console login.
- "svcadm disable gdm" (This disables X and login completely, may need to kill X again to be able to type this).
- "pfexec mv /etc/xorg.conf /etc/xorg.conf.vboxguest"
- "svcadm enable gdm"
- Wait for X to start again, then log in.
- This effectively disables the display and mouse portions of the guest additions, but the rest will work.
This issue has already been reported in the Beta forums, but with no response. It has also been reported in an Sun internal mail thread.
- Summary changed from 3.0.0 Solaris guest additions graphics broken with OpenSolaris 2009.06 to 3.0.0 Solaris guest additions graphics broken with OpenSolaris 2009.06 -> fixed in 3.0.6 beta 1