Ticket #3895 (closed defect: duplicate)
USB Auto detection does not work
|Reported by:||Perryg||Owned by:|
This has been an issue since at least version 2.14.
Steps below on how I must make this work. Any other way fails and USB device is not available even to the host once VBox tries and fails to load it. ( This produces a VBox GUI failure and shuts it down). To get the device to work again in the host I must completely shut down VBox (sometimes need to kill Vboxsvc in the process manager) and unplug the device and plug it back in until it is recognized. Once I have completed the steps below I can reboot the guest and it works until I reboot the host and then I must do as below or it will not work.
- Open the VBox GUI.
- Open settings to the guest.
- Under the USB section remove the check mark from the (+) active filter, and only leave the (.) blank filter. This takes 2 to 3 times before the active filter actually changes. Once I see that the change has taken I can go to the next step. I must have both filters in the settings to get it to work. Removing the blank filter will cause it to fail.
- Boot the guest.
- Remove the USB device from the host and plug back in for the guest to get focus and install the USB device.
- Shut down the guest and open the settings for the guest where I can put the check mark back in the second filter (+).
- Reboot the guest and it auto detects the USB device and removes it from the host and loads it into the guest.
If I do not reboot the host I can then reboot the guest as many times as I want and it auto loads the USB device as it should. Once I reboot the host I must go through these actions again to be able to use the USB device.