VirtualBox

Ticket #3321 (closed defect: fixed)

Opened 5 years ago

Last modified 5 years ago

EBP software pegs Windows guest at 100%

Reported by: rbroadbr Owned by:
Priority: major Component: other
Version: VirtualBox 2.1.2 Keywords:
Cc: Guest type: other
Host type: other

Description

I'm running an accounting software EBP on a Windows XP guest (vb 2.1.2) on a Ubuntu Hardy Heron host on a Dell Precision M4300. EBP used to run well under 2.0.6, but since migrating to 2.1.2 I'm having very large performance problems. These problems are particularly bad when using the reporting function of EBP.

After reviewing other comments on version 2.1.2 I tried activating the option "VT-x/AMD-V" and "Enable nested paging." These options seemed to not have an effect on system performance.

A reinstall of the Guest Add-Ons seemed to slightly improve performance, however I don't have any concrete mesurements of this "improvement."

Based on another ticket that I read I'll mention that the EBP software runs its own Windows service entitled, "EBP Pervasive.SQL".

I'd be happy to provide further problem analysis information if someone/people would like to ask for specific pieces of information that would potentially further clarify what is going on in my vbox.

Thanks, Rich

Attachments

WindowsXP-2009-02-18-13-51-07.log Download (50.4 KB) - added by rbroadbr 5 years ago.
Log file from problem session
WindowsXP-2009-02-18-14-06-21.log Download (49.4 KB) - added by rbroadbr 5 years ago.
New log including activation of requested option

Change History

comment:1 Changed 5 years ago by sandervl73

Include a VBox.log of a session with VT-x enabled please. Sounds like a duplicate of #3172.

Changed 5 years ago by rbroadbr

Log file from problem session

Changed 5 years ago by rbroadbr

New log including activation of requested option

comment:2 Changed 5 years ago by rbroadbr

Attached are a couple of log files, one with the VT-x option enabled (the later one.) In each case I started the guest, started the EBP software and requested a report. (In the older log file I also synced my iPhone.) I'm not sure about the meaning of the log file contents, however if I've guessed correctly there appears to be well over 1 trillion ticks or calls to /PROF/EM/Total.

Thanks, Rich

comment:3 Changed 5 years ago by rbroadbr

The migration to 2.1.4 has fixed the reported problem. Additionally the syncing of my iPhone works much better too. 2.1.4 seems more reactive than 2.1.2. Thanks for this change. Rich

comment:4 Changed 5 years ago by sandervl73

  • Status changed from new to closed
  • Resolution set to fixed

Thanks for the feedback.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.

www.oracle.com
ContactPrivacy policyTerms of Use